What we do
Caring for the gearbox
The oil is changed when an intervention is carried out either in the gearbox or in the gimbal or the clutch. Remember that some automatic boxes can only be emptied at the dealer because they require the use of diagnostic tools.
Indications that something could go wrong
- Cold shift: the oil has lost viscosity, but it compensates when it is heated.
- It is difficult to change gears continuously: the oil has lost viscosity.
- Rasconazo when changing gears: the oil in the gearbox is too fluid.
- The gears jump: oil is missing from the gearbox due to a leak.
- In cold, the start-up reaction time (from neutral to first) is longer: the oil has lost viscosity, but it compensates when it is heated.
- The starter needs more power: oil is missing due to leakage.
- The gear change is very slow, even impossible: there is little or no oil due to a leak.
- When dealing with an automatic transmission, precautions should be redoubled; remember that these mechanisms, due to their complex operation and the greater number of parts, are more susceptible to be affected by failures.
In the case of a manual box, it is very important not to neglect the level of lubricants that is indicated on the rod; the oil is vital to keep the inside gears of the box cool and protected. When the vehicle is in motion, the pinion combinations rotate at high speeds and need to maintain a low temperature so that the phenomenon of expansion does not occur. In addition, it is important to preserve the correct functioning of the mechanical box is that the clutch is working correctly. When the disc is worn or the steel cable has been dilated due to the use, this mechanism does not comply with the task of turning the motor on and off. This situation causes strong friction between the teeth of the gears when a change is inserted.
When dealing with an automatic transmission, precautions should be redoubled; remember that these mechanisms, due to their complex operation and the greater number of parts, are more susceptible to be affected by failures.
First of all, in addition to taking care of the level of lubricants, we must pay close attention to the amount of hydraulic fluid that is contained within the vacuum modulator; in case of loss, it is best to check the seal or packing of the cart or tank. The hydraulic fluid is easily recognized by its red color.
It is very important when the vehicle is in motion, not to insert the parking position (p); however slight the impulse may be, it is preferable to wait until the car has completely stopped; otherwise, the steel discs that interact with the gear sprockets may be damaged.
This project was last updated 1 month ago